Thursday, July 23, 2009

Bacon is a Wepon of Mass Destruction

I LOVE the anthropology of food. Food is something all people have in common and while being far from a foodie, I like to look at people and their interaction with food. Recently on NPR, I head about the psychology and biology of eating a snicker's bar. You must check it out.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106470909

It is called, "How Tasty Foods Change the Brain". This story talk about the snicker's bar as the perfect food because it mixes protein, sugar, caffeen, and salt. All delicoius things. I think that the example from the "Bacon as a Weapon of Mass Destruction". The McGriddle really is an equally alluring and addictive food. I've never eaten one, myself, but I know others who are highly addicted.
clipped from www.alternet.org

The confluence of factory farming, the boom in fast food and manipulation of consumer taste created processed foods that can hook us like drugs.

Among my fondest childhood memories is savoring a strip of perfectly cooked bacon that had just been dragged through a puddle of maple syrup. It was an illicit pleasure; varnishing the fatty, salty, smoky bacon with sweet arboreal sap felt taboo. How could such simple ingredients produce such riotous flavors?

That was then. Today, you don't need to tax yourself applying syrup to bacon -- McDonald's does it for you with the McGriddle. It conveniently takes an egg, American cheese and pork and nestles it between pancakelike biscuits suffused with genuine fake-maple-syrup flavor.

 blog it

No comments: