Monday, December 28, 2009

SteamPunk

I must have ESP. As you may remember, I claimed Steampunk as the theme for my goth-night birthday party on Dec. 13th. Today as I was reading through my Time Magazines there was a story about Steampunk from the day after my birthday. For real, this was creepy.

Here is my favorite quote from this article.
"You can read the steampunk movement as a response to the realities of modern consumer technology. Take the iPhone: its form gives no clue to its function or who made it or where it came from. There are no screws. You can't hack. It's perfect, but it might have well been made by aliens and fallen to Earth in an asteroid. [I am not immune, I am typing this on a smartphone.] The sameway punk took back music, steampunk reclaims technology for the masses. [...]Steampunk is like a snapshot from the last moment in history when technology was intelligible to the layman. [It] is a nostalgia for when technology had some relationship to the human scale... Plus, those Victorians dressed a whole lot better than we do."- Scott Westerfeld

I am just going to make a prediction now using my ESP. While there has always been a rebellion to technology, and a romanticsizing of the past, this genre of music, fashion, and art will grow in the next 5 years. Wal-mart will be selling it in 7-10 years. I am now taking bets.

No comments: