Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Dubuque Day 1

I'm sorry I haven't written anything for a long time, but as you may have heard, the governor's race here in Mn is going to recount. I've made my bosses know, I am not available after next week, but I won't have many more days off either, so I am writing up and starting on this part of my life from here.

I'm going to Dubuqe. Next week. I've never been there before. I don't have a place to live. I just got off the phone with the place suggested to me, and they wanted $440 a month for a 1 bedroom. That's nearly a third of my income! Plus, $30 just to apply, and do a credit check?

To qualify who lives there, you have to make at least 17k and no more than 26K a year. Who makes 17K a year? That is how much I've made in the past 3 years combined. How is someone ever supposed to take advantage of job opportunities in a new place and make that much money.

I don't like that the woman on the phone was so rude. She really bothered me. I asked about housing for low-income people and she said "it isn't low-income, it is 'moderate' income" as if it didn't apply to me and I was the one being insensitive.

You know what, lady, I'm poor. I know I'm poor. I have $700 in my checking account, no savings account and bills. I have student debt, a car payment, and car insurance to pay for but with nothing in my refrigerator.

If I work full time at $9 an hour, my take home pay if I don't have health insurance at all, would be about $1200. Lets say I do get health insurance. That's about $100 a month. Then I have a car to pay for, that's $160, and insurance is $90. I have a cell phone, that is $60 a month, gas to drive and some savings for car repairs costing about $200 a month, and a student loan payment of $60.

That is $530, add it to $440 and I have spent $970 a month. I only have $230 for food. Sure, a woman can get by on $230 for food, but that with $0 in savings.

Now, if I were to get sick, and since I am on an hourly wage, say I miss just 1 day of work. that is $65 after taxes. Now I'm down to $165 dollars for food. But I still have no savings. So lets say my car breaks down and needs $300 in repairs and I have to miss a few hours of work to get it fixed? I'm down both $25 AND $300. Even if I didn't eat for a month, I wouldn't be able to make up for a car repair, and even 1 sick day. Sick days aren't paid when you are on hourly so you are doubly charged for them. Even with health insurance, you may get too sick to work.

I have a job, haven't even started yet, and I'm already in the hole. And millionaire don't think they should have to pay one dollar more in taxes. Why do they hate me, again?

No comments: