Monday, December 13, 2010

The real problem is...

I don't know much for sure, but I know that structural violence is at play and I'm not sure what side of it I am on. Am I just building a better band-aide? Are we dressing the wound or addressing the wound? What has caused the wound?

As an office we have adopted a family for Christmas. I don't feel very useful in the endeavor. I make poverty wages. I can't help someone else with any of the things they'd like help with. I can't even provide what I need for myself.

Last year for Christmas, I got a can opener. The year before that, I got a blanket.

Why can't we ask "why are there people who need help" instead of "what do people need help with". I don't think is fair that people are willing to help a family of strangers, but there are people surrounding them that need help. Is it better to help a stranger than a friend? Or is it because we can't see that which is around us everyday. The invisible poor. The people who live paycheck to paycheck but blend in.

If we continue to pretend class doesn't exist, we will never be able to solve the problems. If you ignore the war, how can you win it?

No comments: