Monday, June 22, 2009

What is in a title, Ma'am?

Yeah, of course I would post this. It has to do with gender. I remember the first time I was called "Ma'am". It was like being called "adult". I wasn't offended as much as I was surprised. As an anthropologist I like to examine the unwritten rules for how we decide on the appropriate use of titles like this. What is in a title? Plenty when you are an anthropologist. It represents, rank, age, responsibility, and social status.
clipped from www.npr.org

Weekend Edition Saturday, June 20, 2009 · In every woman's life, there comes a time when someone calls her "ma'am."

It's usually an indication that you've reached a certain age or bearing that signals you are an elder, or someone who deserves a certain level of respect. Some women don't like it because it makes them feel, well, old.

Some women don't like it because they are senators.

BRIG. GEN. MICHAEL WALSH: Ma'am, at the LACPR ...

SEN. BARBARA BOXER (D-CA): You know, do me a favor, could you say "senator" instead of "ma'am"?

BOXER: It's just the thing. I worked so hard to get that title, so I'd appreciate it. Yes, thank you.

But people can be touchy about titles, especially when they've worked hard to get them. If you slaved away on weekends and missed family dinners at home to be that senior vice president of your company, admit it — it would get under your skin a bit if someone introduced you at a large meeting as just a veep.

Showing respect is never a bad thing.



No comments: