Thursday, June 9, 2011

Robot War Anthropology

From Bad 'Bots, Bad 'Bots, Whatcha Gonna Do?
"Which is why, a week after the war ends, I'm sitting cross-legged in front of a Rob survivor that's spraying the floor with holograms and I'm writing down everything I see and hear.
I just want to make my way home and have a good meal and try to feel human again. But the lives of war heroes are playing out before me like the devil's déjà vu.
I didn't ask for this and I don't want to do it, but I know in my heart that somebody ought to tell their stories. To tell the robot uprising from beginning to end. To explain how and why it started and how it went down. How the robots came at us and how we evolved to fight them. How humanity suffered, and oh god did we suffer. But also how we fought back. And how in the final days, we found a way to face Big Rob himself....

The machines came at us in our everyday lives and they came from our dreams and nightmares, too. But we still figured them out. Quick-thinking human survivors learned and adapted. Too late for most of us, but we did it. Our battles were individual and chaotic and mostly forgotten. Millions of our heroes around the globe died alone and anonymous, with only lifeless automatons to bear witness. We may never know the big picture, but a lucky few were being watched.

Somebody ought to tell their stories."

It will be the anthropologists. Not because anthropologists know the subject, because we are our own audience.

No comments: